The meaning Moola Bandha of the Sanskrit term ‘Moola’ is ‘root/cause/source’. It also refers to the ‘anal region’. The meaning of ‘bandha’ is ‘a lock’.
Therefore, ‘Moola Bandh’ means ‘Anal lock’ or anal contraction.
Methodology of Moola Bandh
- Assume the Siddhasana posture.
- Sit erect.
- Press your perineum with the heel.
- Look straight ahead.
- Take a deep breath.
- Slowly exhale.
- As your abdomen contracts, close the anal opening.
- Then you must strongly (but not violently) contract the external and the internal sphincter muscles.
- Simultaneously you will have to continuously draw upwards those muscles.
- Intensify the contraction process.
- Hold the contraction for 10 seconds.
- As you complete the contraction, lift the anal sphincter muscles.
- Slowly inhale and gradually relax the sphincter muscles.
- Do this bandha five times in the initial stages.
- Increase by one turn every week to increase the turns to 10 times and get the maximum benefits from this bandha.
- Between the contractions relax for five seconds.
- Rectum prolapse is prevented.
- Prostatic hypertrophy, fistula, piles and allied ailments are prevented.
- If you are suffering from these diseases, their severity is reduced.
- Urogenital disorders are also cured.
- The pelvic region enjoys augmented blood supply.
- This bandha is beneficial for the pelvic muscles besides the prostate gland, the perineal body and the gonads.