Uddiyana Bandha Yoga: Uddiyana Bandha means abdominal lock. The meaning of ‘Uddiyana’ is ‘fly upwards’ and ‘Bandha’ connotes ‘lock’.
The Technique of Uddiyana Bandha Yoga
The practitioner of Uddiyana Bandha yoga makes the diaphragm fly up in the thorax while pulling back the abdominal viscera (located above and below the navel) towards the spine.
Methodology of Uddiyana Bandha Yoga
- Stand erect.
- Keep your feet 20 inches apart.
- Your feet must be turned a little outward but in line with each other.
- Bend slightly forward your trunk and head from the waist onwards.
- Flex the knee-joints.
- Bend the arms.
- Grasp the front portions of the thighs slightly above the knees.
- The fingers including the thumbs should be pointing inwards.
- Gradually raise the head.
- The abdominal muscles must be kept loose.
- Forcefully exhale completely.
- Simultaneously contract vigorously the front muscles of the abdomen.
- Hold out your breath and perform the Uddiyana Bandha.
- It is important that no air enters your lungs during the course of the Bandha.
The Uddiyana Bandha Processes
- Mildly but evenly press the thighs with the palms.
- Neither open the glottis nor allow air to rush into the lungs but do perform ‘false inhalation.
- During this crucial process, your thoracic cage will expand; the ribs will be lifted and your contracted front abdominal muscles will be swiftly relaxed.
- When the ribs rise, your relaxed diaphragm will also move upwards.
- Simultaneously the abdominal front muscles will get sucked inwards and upwards the ribs. Thus, the thoracic cavity vacuum is automatically filled up.
- On the other hand, a deep depression takes place in the relaxed abdominal wall. This wall extends from below the ribs to the pelvis. The abdomen assumes a concave shape when the hollow takes place in the abdomen. This is the final ‘Uddiyana’ position.
- Stay put in this position. The vacuum in the lungs will be maintained.
- Concentrate on the solar plexus.
- Remain in this position for 10 seconds or till you are comfortable. This is the completion of one round.
- Return to the starting position as mentioned below. Take rest for 15 seconds and again do the second round.
- One should perform three such rounds but do take sufficient rest in between the rounds.
Advantages of Uddiyana Bandha Yoga
- Uddiyana improves the functioning of your somantic nerves.
- As a result, there is better coordination between the voluntary and the involuntary nervous systems.
- Therefore, Uddiyana tones up the solar plexus – the root locations of all the nerves.
- Your ribs are exercised and the chest is expanded to its maximum limit.
- The capacity of your lungs will also be increased as their elasticity is boosted.
- Uddiyana improves the respiratory system. You will be able to enjoy deeper and fuller respiration due to the augmented mobility of your diaphragm.
- The abdomen is instinctively made an integral participatory agency in the respiratory process.
- Uddiyana is an ideal simultaneous massaging means for various internal organs like the upper portion of the small intestine, the transverse colon, gall bladder, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, liver, stomach, and the heart.
- The abdominal muscles are kept fit and ever active.
- Your abdominal muscles become more resilient.
- There is improved blood circulation to the abdominal cavity.