Foods For Serious Health: When you ask people what their favorite foods are, most likely it will not include anything on this list. Sadly some of the best foods you should be eating are ones most people don’t eat. It’s not that they taste bad or are even hard to prepare; they just aren’t very well known.
Food is a funny thing. We need to eat it for nutrients but the inclination is to avoid the best foods in favor of okay or horrible options. Of course, that is just a recipe for disaster. Superfoods, power foods, or whatever you want to call them are the stuff that a great body is built on. So get started on your foundation by looking for these options next time you go to the grocery store.
The Big 5 Foods
- Scallops – When cooked at home without a ton of extras these are a fantastic protein option. In three ounces you get 20 grams of protein and only take in 100 calories. They also are a great source of potassium and magnesium.
- Seaweed – How many people expected this one on the list? Very few it would be guessed because seaweed is not very common in the U.S. but they are loaded with great stuff like potassium and calcium. One reason why Japanese people have fewer blood pressure issues is the combination of fish and seaweed in their diets because the extra potassium offsets sodium intake.
- Lentils – Nutrition experts have known for quite some time how good lentils are but do you? This is a fiber and folate food supreme! Plus when you vary your colors you are exposed to a range of various anti-oxidants. Most people tout spinach as a great folate provider but lentils pack about 25% more per cup to go with 15 grams of fiber to keep you full. They make a great side to a meat dish to keep you nice and full without a ton of calories you find in rice or pasta.
- Hemp Seeds – These seeds, like a lot of nuts, are rich in omega-3s. What is a more notable bonus? A single serving has a whopping 11 grams of protein that includes all of the essential amino acids. Most nuts and seeds have only some amino acids. Skip the pot jokes, this is seriously good food.
- Celery – People used to always list celery as a great diet food because of the idea that it takes more calories to burn indigestion than it gives off plus it has a lot of fiber. Both of those things are true plus it goes great with low-fat peanut butter! An added bonus is that eating celery regularly (4-5 sticks a day) can help lower blood pressure. Want another reason to chew on a stick? They help stimulate your body to release pheromones if you are a guy. That tends to make you more attractive to the ladies.
These five foods have flown under the radar for a while, but as you can see they have a lot of positive going for them. Plus they are fairly simple to incorporate into meals. So the next time you are out shopping make sure to add them to your list; your body will thank you.
Terry Donohue is a fitness enthusiast and writer for Nutribomb.com Bodybuilding and Fitness Blog. You can follow Terry there or by going to the Nutribomb Google Plus Page. Hope you love reading “Serious Foods For Serious Health”. Share your view in the comment section below.