Determine Yoga fasting schedule
Let’s first analyze the connotation of the term ‘Fasting’.
Fasting does not refer to the act of mere abstinence from having food. The meaning of ‘Fasting’ has a wider purview. To be able to do ‘fasting’ in the proper and the recommended manner, one must be having dedication, will power and a strong mind and body to enjoy the benefits accruing from fasting.
Fasting means consciously bringing about the process whereby energy is conserved and all waste materials accumulated within the body are eliminated. Therefore, fasting does not mean starving. On the other hand, starvation will begin once the body is wanting in nutrition due to the depletion of the nutritional buffer stock.
The Alternative of Fasting
The first thing to remember is that the alternative to fasting is to have just liquid food. even if you are running temperature
Why We Should Fast
Fasting for a day is the panacea for many common ailments like clogged bowels, coated tongue or when your digestive machinery needs overhauling. Similarly go on a day’s fast if you don’t feel like having anything. This scientific method of forsaking food will help you bring about appetite and soon your hunger for food will be back. In fact, your body and mind will not seek any food whenever you are unwell.
Will Fasting Weaken Our Bodies?
Fasting just for a day or simply consciously stopping the digestive process does not weaken the body. This is primarily because during fasting the body sustains itself on its buffer energy stock. This is also a sure shot means to refurbish that very essential emergency reserve of energy.
What is this energy buffer stock within our body?
The buffer stock of energy is made up of the cells, liver, blood and tissues. The cells have special food stock chambers; the liver keeps the energy in glycogen; the blood stream does this with the aid of protein while the tissues deposit the collected energy in their fat deposits.
How does the body draw strength during fasting?
During fasting, our bodies instinctively and naturally start pooling strength from the aforementioned energy reserves. Many consciously condition their minds to reduce flab deposits in different parts of their bodies during fasting, and have reported positive results.
You would, however, feel a rather unpleasant sensation if you are on a fasting schedule for the maiden time. This feeling is akin to the commotion within ourselves after we skip a major meal like supper. But, don’t worry! With a bit of self-discipline you will be able to get over it very soon. The appetite you are now feeling will vanish the moment the body starts the automatic process of getting nourishment from the four energy reserves within our bodies.
The ideal fasting duration
You are the best judge to determine the duration of a fasting schedule. While determining the time of the fasting schedule you should inevitably take into consideration various aspects like your physical state, age, weather, climatic conditions and also your occupation.
Mentionably, the countdown of such a roster commences from the moment you skip a meal. Therefore, don’t count fasting from the time you took the latest meal.
Means to commence fasting
- Never take a complete fast all of a sudden especially if you are a novice.
- Commence the full fasting schedule only after you have mastered the art of partial fast. The beginners should slowly start the fasting process by skipping a meal.
- Subsequently observe a partial fast.
- Keep on increasing the fasting duration till it attains the limit of 24 hours or a day.
Learning the strategy
- First condition your mind; simultaneously visualize and activate the five energy reserves;
- Mentally prepare to go on the fasting;
- Make it a point to concentrate on the purification process of the body;
- Also think that the energy reserves in the cells, liver and the blood stream are getting cleaned of its already collected energies to be slowly but surely and adequately refurbished with fresh energies after you have break the fasting and have meal.
- The elimination of the toxic substances will be carried out by out body during the fasting stage
Go for frequent drinking of water during fasting
- Water is a natural flushing agent.
- Drink water frequently and if you feel thirst during fasting.
- On the fasting days, the drinking water should be either lukewarm or boiled and cooled to your body temperature.
- As the meal time approaches, you can opt for a glass of simple water. It will stop your body’s craving for food which is especially accentuated at the commencement of fasting.
- Drinking of adequate amounts of water during fasting serves a two-fold purpose, viz., appeasement of appetite and elimination of the waste materials.
- Frequent drinking of plain water (even if you are not thirst) will dissolve and provide the medium through which the toxins are removed from the body.
- Moreover when you keep on frequently drinking water, the body will not be dehydrated.
- If you are suffering from constipation, foul breath, bad taste in the mouth drink water frequently.
- Keep your mind relaxed.
- Don’t be at all obsessed with the thought of food before, during or after fasting.
- You should willingly and happily do fasting.
- The entire fasting day you should remain mentally and physically active.
- Remain mildly active during fasting.
- Practise light reading or immerse in creative pursuits.*
- Avoid hard labour or the strenuous yoga exercises.
- Do only the light yogic asanas on the fasting days.
- If you are on a partial fasting schedule, you make take plain water, fresh diluted fruit juice, tender coconut water, buttermilk and milk as substitutes for the regular meals and only at the meal times.
- When you are on fasting for a day, don’t have solid or liquid items of any kind except plain water.
- During fasting particularly avoid ice or refrigerated food items.
- If you are a diabetic, or have heart and liver problems, or suffer from kidney trouble and duodenal ulcer don’t attempt fasting.
- The aged people, pregnant women, aged people and nursing mothers and especially those who are very weak or extremely underweight must not attempt long fasting.
- Such people can have sweet buttermilk, milk fruit or fresh diluted fruit juice during fasting.
- Don’t fast for more than a day or two.
- Complete and prolonged fasting will adversely affect vitality and your resistance to disease. Besides, it puts the body totally out of gear.
- When your vitality is low, don’t totally abstain from food.
- If you have a long and hard day ahead, don’t go on fasting.
- Don’t fast if you are feeling tired or fagged out.
- Never feast on the eve of the fast.
- Else you will not gain the benefits accruing from fasting.
- Also avoid starving a day to overeat the next day for compensating for the earlier day.
- Avoid taking coffee, tea, aspirin, alcohol, tranquilizers, drugs during fasting.
- Don’t smoke during a fast.
- Prior to commencing a fast, take fresh fruits or vegetables, it will aid elimination.
- Even if you do not have bowel movement on the day you are about to fast, do not take laxatives.