Taking Position The 1st Surya Namaskar
This is the commencing position. Assume a calm and prayerful mood.
Prepare to pay obeisance to the Sun.
Positioning the Limbs
- Look towards the East. Stand straight on your seat (mat/carpet/blanket).
- Both your feet must be on the same level and about 12 centimeters apart.
- Keep your arms close to your body. They must be kept straight down.
- Ensure that your knees are stiff. The back portion of your head must be in the same line as your back and heels.
- The abdomen needs to be drawn in. Raise the chest.
- Bend your arms and place your hands before the chest. It should be in a prayerful gesture.
- Lightly join together both your palms. The palms should be turned upwards.
- The fingers must be stretched out. They must point upwards.
- The thumbs as well as the fingertips of both the hands must touch each other.
- The thumbs should be touching the middle portion of the chest. The elbow up to the forearms should be in alignment.
Commencing the Namaskar
- Look ahead. Don’t open the mouth. You must be well placed or balanced while standing.
- Breathe normally.
- Condition your mind in such a way that your body is relaxed.
- Now, worship the Sun.